Monday, May 26, 2014

Taco Night

One of my favorite nights growing up was taco night; I loved being able to skip the tomato, peppers, onions... well everything except meat, cheese, lettuce, and more cheese. It was wonderful being able to make my own without hearing "This is what I cooked for supper, so eat up!" 

When Emma-Leigh asked for tacos the other night, I was ready to jump all over that; but there was one problem... I had never made vegan tacos before... or vegetarian for that matter!! Off to google I went to search for something that caught my eye. After searching a couple ten or twenty blogs with nothing really catching my eye, I created this following recipe. The kids loved it; omnivore approved.  

Turn burner to medium heat; add 1 tbsp of oil and 1 onion to pan.

We use purple onion here quite a bit as it is my husband's favorite, but I am sure it will turn out beautifully with sweet or white onion as well.

Once onion is softened add 4 cloves of minced garlic. 


After about 2 minutes add in 1/2 a red pepper. 

Then add 1 seeded tomato. Cook for about 7 minutes, stirring frequently.

Isn't is just looking wonderful!

Add some spices and stir.

Now add 1 cup of lentils. I did not soak them and the end result was slightly crunchy; I will probably soak them for half and hour in future batches. 

In this recipe I used 1/2 cup green and 1/2 cup red lentils; 1 cup of brown lentils will give it a 'meaty' look. 

add enough water to completely cover the lentils. 

Stirring often; continue to cook until water is completely absorbed; in this photo it is about half way there.

Throw on a taco, add your favorite toppings, and enjoy my friends!

Vegan Tacos Recipe

1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion; minced
4 cloves of garlic; minced
1/2 red pepper; minced
1 tomato; seeded and minced
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp cumin
 1 cup of lentils; your choice of color
water
taco toppings of choice

Step One: On medium heat place olive oil and minced onion in frying pan, saute until soft
Step Two: Add minced garlic, saute for another minute of two
Step Three: Place minced pepper in pan; cook for 3 minutes stirring occasionally
Step Four: Add minced and seeded tomato; cook for 7 minutes stirring often
Step Five: Add chili powder, garlic powder, paprika, and cumin; stir
Step Six: Add lentils and enough water to completely cover mixture; reduce heat to medium low, and allow water to absorb completely.
Step Seven: While mixture is cooking prepare your toppings of cheese, tomato, lettuce, salsa, sour cream, ect. 

Serve and Enjoy :-)


And look at these beauties I am currently working on! They will be coming on the blog some time in the future. For now I am going to listen to the rain, read a good book, and wait for my wonderful second half to get home. Have a lovely evening everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment